5 ways to leave mom feeling like the queen of the hive
Mom’s are loving, selfless, fierce cornerstones of support at their best, and crazed, tyrannical groughes at their worst moments. But most of them rarely feel like a queen. They’re too busy alternating between working to support their families, and cleaning up messes, kissing owies, breaking up fights, cooking, cleaning, and doing all the other things mothers do.
So basically, they’re too busy taking care of the needs of others.
For Mother’s day this year, why not make your special mom feel like a queen? Try one of these ideas for a day that will leave her feeling like royalty:
- Clean up without being asked. Pick up all the laundry and wash it. Tidy the flat surfaces. Dump the garbage. Do the dishes and wipe down the counters. Vacuum. Talk to your kids, if they are big enough to participate. Let them know what you are doing, and why. Then, do it all with a smile. Do it all without expecting praise. Do it as a gift. Make it about that special mom, and not you.
- Detail mom’s car. Wash and wax it. Clean the windows. Armorall the tires and Dash. Vacuum the carpets. Add an air freshener for good measure. You could even go all out and hang a charm to her rearview mirror. It will remind her of your thoughtful act every time she drives anywhere.
- Plan a small family outing, and make it something she has been wanting to do. Watch and listen. Mothers drop hints and clues all the time about their wants and dreams. Make one come true. It doesn’t have to be big, it just has to be genuine. Maybe it’s a new garden store she wants to visit, a movie she really wants to see, or a hiking trail she wants to try. Coach the kids in advance, so they know that they shouldn’t complain. Explain that being selfless is something people sometimes do for those they care about, and remind them that mom usually picks activities that need to get done, or that others want to do, not what she really wants to do. If that doesn’t work, explain that the activity is a present. Remind them that mothers are selfless all the time.
- Call a friend or relative of hers, and send them to lunch or dinner on you. Sometimes, moms are so busy taking care of others, they don’t always get the chance to really connect with their friends or family. Remember to make sure that the kids get fed, and the mess from it is cleaned up before mom gets back.
- Pamper her like a queen for the day. Have her sit down and relax. Let her have total control of the TV remote, or offer up a few of her favorite books. Make sure the kids know you are the go-to person if they need anything. Bring her drinks and food so that she doesn’t have to get them for herself. Finally, make sure you clean up any messes you make, so your special mother isn’t faced with a disaster after she gets up from her time spent relaxing.
Remember, you don’t have to wait for mothers day to come around to make the mothers in your life to feel truly royal. And your gestures don’t have to be grand or expensive.They just have to be thoughtful and genuine. So what will you do this Mother’s for your mom?