Thank you for coming by and reading another post by us at MoreBees; we appreciate the time and effort. We want to not only sell you great products that are made locally but also inform you of interesting topics. This time around; another serious problems relating to bees has come to our attention. Chinese Honey; the dangers of Chinese honey and whether or not out trusted brands are now using Chinese Honey and why they would endanger the population.
First off; what is Chinese Honey? That is simple, it is honey from China. Next; If it is just honey from China, then what is the problem and why is it banned in over 27 countries in Europe? First is the illegal antibiotics used to treat the bees; about 2001 Chinese Beekeepers noticed a bacteria epidemic of Foul Brood Disease sweeping through the hives and killing millions of bees. Foulbrood is a disease that infects larva before the capped stage of their life and kills them; either by drying them out or melting them. Instead of taking appropriate measures to deal with this the Chinese Beekeepers used several Indian made animal antibiotics, including chloramphenicol. Chloramphenicol has caused major genetic damage in children and increased chances of Leukemia by decreasing white blood cell count. Medical researchers also found that children given chloramphenicol as an antibiotic are susceptible to DNA damage and carcinogenicity. And now small traces of chloramphenicol can be found in their honey.
Next reason Chinese Honey is dangerous and why it is banned; due to improper containment Chinese Honey has been contaminated by Lead and other harsh metals from the metal drums they seal the honey in. Experts have tested 326 drums of Chinese Honey back in 2010 and had found 23% of the containing harmful levels of lead and at least two kinds of antibiotics in the honey. This is very serious considering the US only makes 48% of its own honey; the other 52% is imported from 41 other countries including Uruguay, Mexico, Canada, and Brazil. China being one of many who have been banned is still smuggling over their cheap and hazardous honey. It has been found that 60% of what we imported has been Chinese Honey; approximately 123 million pounds, that came from the laundering points all throughout Asia. This includes 45 million pounds coming straight from India.
How are we still getting this honey if we banned it from our borders? The Chinese ship out millions of pounds of their honey to other countries that we still import honey from. The countries helping the Chinese re-label the honey as their own and shipping it over. They also have repainted their barrels from blue to green (blue being the usual color Chinese Honey came in) and made fake paperwork and labels to “authenticate” the honey as coming from other suppliers than China. The Russian Honey Federation have even flagged the Chinese for labeling their honey as Russian honey and bringing it over. Labs using pollen detectors to scan the honey for what flower pollens are in the honey; thus helping identify where the honey comes from.
So what’s the problem? We know the how to identify it, we have all the means, then what is the problem? Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as well as Border control are looking for these honey launders, so what is left? Well; that is the FDA, who has all the know-how and capabilities but deems honey laundering as “not a priority”.
How can you keep possibly contaminated honey out of your house? Buy local is the safest way; but if you still want to buy your honey from the supermarket keep in mind 1 in 3 Americans has bought this contaminated honey. Many brands of cereal are also using Chinese honey in processing their cereal either because they know and bought it from illegal sources because it was cheaper or their sources have fooled them. So, be careful and do your research, Chinese honey can be very dangerous.
Thank you for reading;
We would like to thank and acknowledge these sites as references for all the material that you have read.